Sorcery and Steam
Most goblins tend to gravitate towards money or machinery(often both). They are a canny and inventive race, but are prone to rash decisions and narrow-minded thinking. They rarely give up on a goal for any reason.
Personality: Goblins are generally very industrious and inventive. They love material comforts and showing off, and will seldom pass up the opportunity to make a grand entrance, or amaze passersby. As such they make great salesmen and can often be seen standing on boxes hocking wares and sundries of all kinds. GOblins have been at the forefront of steam power and all it’s developements, primarily in military designs and have recently prospered as a race.
Appearance: Goblins typically stand between 3 and 4 feet tall and weigh 40 to 55 pounds(sometimes a bit more, in the case of a particularly grand and pudgy individual). Their skin is green and can be any shade thereof. Goblin women tend to wear their hair up to avoid getting caught in machinery(or looking too provocative), while male goblins are bald but can sometimes grow prickly facial hair.
Relations: Goblins can relate to the mechanically savvy dwarves and gnomes, but they all too often see the goblins’ methods as reckless and ramshackle. Humans and halflings appreciate the goblins’ sense of enterprise and shrewdness whilst elves see them as comically wrapped up in matters of little importance.
Alignment: Goblins tend towards neutrality. Those who gravitate towards law are often lawyers, bankers, foremen, or military proffessions, whilst the chaotic would be mad experimenters, sappers, con artists or socialist revolutionaries. Goblins are mostly neutral or good and tend to only hurt others through negligence or volatile inventions.
Goblin lands: Goblins live in any land that requires their abilities and are often present at expeditions to unknown lands, or colonies. The largest concentrations being England, Switzerland, The Prussian Empire, The Austro-Hungarian Empire and the various Italian states.
Religion: Goblins are as a rule an atheist race, though most would prefer to not shun all gods as openly as that, just in case.
Adventures: Goblins are never hesitant to adventure. Not only do such exploits help build a reputation that could potentially sell, but it gives them an opportunity to discover and exploit resources or technologies that are rare or unknown. They are not below helping souls in need as they go along, however. Goblins are often sent by guilds or government to establish industry in new lands.
- +2 Int, +2 Dex, -2 Str, -2 wis. Goblins are quick and clever, but are rather small-framed and tend to lack common sense.
- Small size
- Weapon familiarity: Goblins are very comfortable with firearms of all kinds(claiming to have invented them some 400 years ago) and as such are proficient with them.
- +2 racial bonus on Alchemy, Craft(Clockworks), Craft(Steamcrafts) and Craft(gunsmithing) and Munitions checks. Goblins are technologically minded and posses great drive to working with chemicals, machines and gadgets.
- Shrewd Businesspersons: Goblins love a bargain, and denying others the same luxury. As such, when dealing with money matters they gain a +1 racial bonus on Appraise, Bluff, Diplomacy and Sense Motive checks.
- It’s safe enough: Goblins tend to be painfully practical with their inventions. Any Clockwork item, Munitions check, Steamcraft item, Alchemical creation or Firearm crafted by a goblin has a slightly higher chance of exploding, bursting into flames, melting or otherwise falling apart. D20 rolls of a 1 OR 2 count as a mishap when using machines made by a goblin.